Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Risky Business

Today I read and another article in ASME monthly journal. A division of ASME has recently begun a project involving risk assessment for students at institutes of higher education. The ASME group has been gathering data at several universities and schools of higher education in order to inform the universities of their areas of highest risk to students. This can include risk of natural disaster, risk of harm to personal property, theft, etc. This data will allow universities to better prepare for particular threats that are more prevalent at their particular institution.

This article made me think of Clemson's sirens and campus warning systems. I live in an apartment complex in close proximity to campus and their is a loud speaker right outside our building. The siren will sound and then a voice will usually say one of two things; "This is only a test," or "Seek shelter immediately cloud to ground light is in the area." It is painfully loud and frankly it is over used to the point that in the event of a real emergency it could easily be ignored. I would love to be informed if their is an armed criminal lose on campus, but every time a thundershower rolls through I would rather not have my ear drums ruptured.

4 comments:

  1. haha This is such a good point. I am creeped out every time the siren goes off, but it doesn't really keep me from going outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree with you more. It almost becomes a "boy who cried wolf" scenario. Not only do I get annoyed with most of these "tests" I almost find them funny how overly dramatic they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, just like an alarm clock. We'd snooze that bad boy until we see lightning strike 5 feet away.

    I also heard that the most likely place to be robbed is a grocery store parking lot. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha that's very true. I've heard it being tested more times than not, and in the case of a real emergency, I'd probably not even realize there was one at first. Also, the fact that they have to have a warning siren for lightning makes me worried. You'd think college students would know when there is lighting and to know not to stand in an open field with a metal rod. Maybe lighting will strike the siren tower...

    ReplyDelete