Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Warning

Instructions these days have almost as many warnings as they do instructions and diagrams. I noticed just how ridiculous some of the warnings are while reading an instruction manual in class earlier this week. A Black and Decker air compressor instruction manual had a warning in it that told the user not to attempt to inhale the compressed air or put the tube in their mouth. I almost began laughing out loud. I mean seriously who is going to put an air compressor hose in their mouth and turn it on? 

I thought for a minute and realized exactly who would do such a thing. There are people all over the world looking to get rich through a lawsuit of some outrageous accusation. In addition to these people there are numerous "tv lawyers" that specialize in helping people like this win cases. This has become such an epidemic that millions of dollars must be spent by companies to create warning manuals that make their products lawsuit proof. I understand where some may push back and ask is the product really safe? I am sure there is an incident where some air compressor failed and someone was hurt. A company should most definitely be held responsible for this. I do not, however, believe a company should in any way be held liable for gross negligence of a consumer trying to make a million dollars by inhaling compressed air.
I believe the courts in which these cases are heard should have zero tolerance for criminals such as these. It is a classic example of people making a living by exploiting the government, but that is another topic for another post. In the meantime don't inhale air from an air compressor, but I trust that probably goes without saying.

3 comments:

  1. I am large supporter of this blog! I'm glad someone wrote about this. Scamming companies because of ones own misjudgment and stupidity is at the top of the list of my pet peeves. Prime example ; The lady who burned herself on McDonalds' coffee about ten years ago and made millions from them. Even children associate coffee with hot. I just don't see how people can get away from this. Or poaaibly I do. Maybe our justice system has way to many loop holes. As far as the government goes, I believe the strategy of making warning labels for products is a smart idea, because no one wants to hear "I told you so".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately this is very true. We as a society have taken complete responsibility for oneself away from the individual and placed it on the providers of potentially hazardous things. We have allowed people to become apathetic and raised a large percentage of this generation that quite frankly shouldn't be allowed to leave home without a helmet. And are we really naive enough as a society that anyone is going to read HOT on the side of a cup of coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is crazy how people can make money off of their own stupidity. This is a good point to remember when thinking about how instructions are written.

    ReplyDelete