Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Learning to Walk

Today I read an article in the ASME Mechanical Engineering Journal about a new prosthetic foot design. This new design is a breakthrough in prosthetic technology. The article describes that when an amputee walks with a typical artificial leg or foot it would be like you or me walking with 30 pounds attached to our ankle. The human foot produces natural regenerative rebound forces in the ankle as a normal reaction when walking. Currently many prosthetic foot designs use small motors to create this regenerative action. The motors are power hungry and heavy. This new design uses a simple spring to imitate the regenerative action of your ankle. The only powered device in the foot is a small actuator that uses minimal power.

This design is really a much simpler design that the old style motor driven prosthesis. I see many new technologies being developed that are simpler than old technologies. Technology in general has come so far that things are easily over complicated. I believe that the simplification of multiple technological systems will be a huge focus of engineering and development in the coming years. This simple new foot design will provide great freedom for amputees.

This is the article...
Artificial Foot

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't imagine having a 30lb weight attached to my leg. I also didn't realize that our bodies produced such useful reactions such as the one you described in our ankles. I guess walking would be much more difficult if they did not produce this reaction. I am glad that as our technology advances, those with disabilities will have easier lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that I read a blog post about this the day that my mom was joking with me about how I'd need to get my foot amputated (long story).

    Because of my medical issues and the constant looming option of surgery, I find myself fascinated by both the advances of medical field and the complexity of the human body. Usually when I think of a prosthetic limb, I don't think of them as advanced as they are. I don't think of anything as rudimentary as a wooden 'peg leg' by any means, but incorporating motors? I didn't know they did that! And to learn that they're moving forward to make them simpler/lighter but just as effective is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend that has an artificial leg, and while I've never really thought about how the weight of the prosthetic compares to how our legs work, I can definitely see how this makes sense. Advances like this are really cool to read about (and remind me of Inspector Gadget).

    ReplyDelete